When James Lendon opened a bicycle repair shop in 1944, he couldn't have believed that his shopping dynasty would still be thriving more than 70 years later.
James and his wife, May, established their shop, known simply as Lendon's in 1944 as World War II was coming to an end. Both of them being keen cyclists, they saw a gap in the market to repair the bicycles to the people in Llanishen in North Cardiff and surrounding areas.
As the business grew, it allowed James, who passed away more than 40 years ago, to further indulge his hobby for model trains and he soon began stocking parts for other enthusiasts. Lendons reportedly became the first shop in the city to stock Airfix kits for young boys to replicate the planes they saw flying overhead everyday.
And in 1960, having acquired the neighbouring premises in Fidlas Road, Llanishen, James was able to greatly expand the range of models for sale.
Today, James' grandson Rob Matthews, and his Wife Tracy, run the shop having taken over the business in 2007, with the help of Rob's parents Dave and Jo Matthews who ran the business from 1990 to 2007.
Between 1972 and 1990, the shop was known as James & Lendon, with part of the shop sold to local businessman Campbell James. in 1990 Campbell officially retired at the age of 65 and the shop went back on the market, which is when Dave and Jo decided to take it firmly back into the family fold. They continued to employ Campbell in the shop until he was 80.
As well as model cars, trains, planes, Airfix kits and all the extras for scenery and track, Lendon's also sell paintbrushes, paints, glue, balsa wood, brass metals, plastic building materials and craft items as well as so much more.